Friday, September 25, 2009

Titanic


Titanic: James Cameron (1997)

I’ve often said for years, that I have hated this movie with a passion. It is still to this day on my list of movies to where I would rather be shot out of a cannon blindfolded than watch this movie. However, it’s not as bad as what I’m making it out to be.

I’m not a huge Leonardo DiCaprio fan, yet I still went to see this movie. I was in high school when this movie came out and the biggest sell was that Kate Winslet was topless in the movie. So naturally, like most guys we went to see the flesh.

What I got was a three hour movie that left me going, “What in the hell was I thinking going to see this movie?”

So where did this movie go wrong? The obvious is that it took three hours to sink the damn ship. THREE HOURS! If you’re doing anything in three hours you better be using the force or have a ring.

Okay so the movie itself was not bad. The scenery was good. The special effects was something that truly spoke James Cameron. The story…well that is why I hate the movie actually. James Cameron was obviously wanting to a “chick flick” with this movie. True love in the middle of disaster. Well had the ladies roped in! Well then you have guys because you have the disaster. You even had the kid factor because the movie was based on a major historical disaster.

The main big problem with movie is I absolutely hate movies where there is no real happy ending. Naturally there are movies that don’t fall into that category. Schindler’s List, Terminator 2, The Boy in the Stripped Pajamas all fall into this category. Those movies though you somewhat expect the ending to be sad and have those boxes of tissues. However, with Titantic, you didn’t have that expectation. When I saw this movie, I knew at the beginning Rose was alone. The story line that would have made sense to me would be that Jack and Rose made it despite the cold water and lived a long and happy married life. Jack died a few years before and thus Rose is now alone. That would have been the happy ending. Instead, what happens? We get Leo dying.

I can remember when Leo died in the movie I pointed at the screen and laughed. It wasn’t for the fact he died and all the ladies in the room were crying. I laughed because I couldn’t believe the stupidity of this movie ending.

Like I said though the movie had it’s good points. The musicians playing together one last time, the guy hitting the propeller of the boat when he falls off, classic one liners, and the romantic scenes of Jack and Rose. It was just the ending that was terrible.

Rating for this movie: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment